The world's first Molecular Gaming Console™
Join Our Epic Quest to SOLVE BIOLOGY and save lives!
GIF shows actual data from our proprietary electronics, some actual game play, and our CEO Kent Kemmish and his furry friend Doge posing with the prototype.
That baby is the demonpore 64™. Think of it as "the Xbox of biology”.
It contains advanced molecular sensors called "nanopores", a powerful emerging technology that was pioneered by a member of our team (our SAB member Prof. George Church of Harvard Medical School)
You can start doing experiments with REAL cells and molecules from all around you right away—you pour liquids in, and the game begins!
Now imagine people all over the world playing together, combining data with vast, carefully planned experiments at a global scale. The combined power of that network will help SOLVE BIOLOGY in the coming decade!
It’s an advanced scientific instrument, powered by nanopores, that turns raw signals from REAL cells and molecules into gaming experiences. By playing the games, you’ll contribute real-world molecular and cellular data to vast, coordinated experiments.
The scale of these experiments will satisfy the wildest dreams of the most ambitious scientists working in biotechnology—we will MAKE HISTORY!
Here are just a few of our favorite comments from hundreds of people who've answered the question "What excites you most about the demonpore 64™?"
This is literally the coolest citizen science idea I have ever heard of and I want to take part so badly!
I think the demonpore 64 is the coolest thing this century. It's going to allow regular people to help push science forward faster.
Science at scale, in the home, and gamified—what's not to love?
This is the coolest freaking thing I have ever seen.
This is no see before. (sic)
Is it possible not to be excited about exploring Molecular Reality?
Players will get to choose from games from a wide variety of fields in molecular science—choosing the missions that most inspire them!
A quick summary of the major fields our first set of titles will cover:
• Virology: 2021: A SARS Odyssey™ At first, you simply shoot alien invaders that are generated by signals within the console. You generate data using safe, non-toxic, non-infectious particles that mimic the tiny structural differences between real viruses, helping scientists develop methods to prevent future pandemics!
• Veterinary Science: DogeBio™ In the beginning, it's just you and Doge, and the game is to take him for a walk while dodging obstacles. The obstacles are procedurally generated based on combinations of reagents you put into the console, and the data will help develop biomarker assays for your best friend's health.
• Environment: Raindrop Planet™ Discover new microorganisms in your own backyard, new methods to identify industrial chemicals in the air, water, and ground, while competing with players from around the world to develop the most useful methods for environmental monitoring.
• Ending Aging: Dragon Tyrant Must Die!™ Inspired by the classic Nick Bostrom story, this epic multi-year game will eventually allow population-scale, longitudinal development of new aging biomarkers and intervention strategies. In the first campaign starting this year, we will develop methods to track AGEs (Advanced Glycation End products) forming in collagen.
• Genomics: Genomic Ranger™ In this western-themed game, you ride across the vast landscape of the genome, developing methods to tease apart the complex structures of DNA and its epigenetic regulation.
• Microbiome: Poop of the Gods™ In the cold dark void beyond Uranus, ancient alien space gods are dumping mysterious moon-sized waste products, and you must stop them! In real life, you're helping scientists understand the complexities of the gut microbiome... and yes, you will eventually get to "explore the sacred stinky" from your own provided samples!
• Astrobiology: Molecules of Mars™ In the game, you're a brave early Martian explorer, trying to grow your own food on the red planet. But in real life, you're back here on Earth, doing experiments with actual Martian regolith simulants—helping develop methods to feed future Martian colonists, possibly including yourself some day!
• Food Science: Gastromancy™ You play a student at a magical culinary arts school, learning to cast spells in the form of delicious meals. In the real world, you're following recipes from world-class chefs and taking extracts from the food you prepare to study the molecular gastronomy behind scrumptiousness.
The age of personal biotech is just starting. We're building an inexpensive but powerful scientific instrument that's literally as easy to use as a toy, something millions of people will have fun playing with while radically accelerating the pace of biotech.
We’re recruiting alpha testers and all sorts of fun geeks to make this mission happen. Get in touch